‘Safe and Sane’ Fireworks safety information
Tips for the 4th of July, 2017 from Fire Chief Bill White
The Fourth of July will be here in a blink of the eye, and Templeton Fire & Emergency Services wants everyone to enjoy the holiday safely.
Templeton Fire Chief Bill White asks that you make note of the following information:
- The sale and discharge of “Safe and Sane” Fireworks is limited from noon on July 1st to midnight on July 4th.
- You may only discharge fireworks purchased at the fireworks booths permitted to do business within the Templeton Community Services District boundaries.
- Firecrackers, cherry bombs, M80’s, bottle rockets or mortar shells are examples of illegal fireworks (anything that flies through the air or explodes!). “Illegal fireworks can cause wildfires, roof fires and serious injuries, however, even “Safe and Sane” fireworks are dangerous when discharged improperly,” Fire Chief White warns.
- Always read and follow the directions on each firework before using it.
- Have a responsible adult oversee the use of fireworks – even sparklers can cause second-degree burns.
- Remember to “Stop, Drop and Roll,” if fireworks catch your clothes on fire. Wear 100-percent cotton and avoid short sleeve shirts and shorts to prevent possible burn injuries.
- Always have buckets of water or a garden hose ready to distinguish flames/fires. Place discharged fireworks in a bucket of water.
- Never point or throw fireworks (at people or pets).
- Never alter a firework – it’s dangerous and can cause serious injuries. Alteration of “Safe and Sane” fireworks is a felony.
- Possession of illegal fireworks is a misdemeanor and punishable by up to one year in county jail and a fine of $1,000.
- Keep pets indoors and secured.
- Illegal fireworks may be turned in without penalty to Templeton Fire and Emergency Services Office located at 206th 5th Street.
Officials from the California Highway Patrol, the SLO County Sheriff’s Department and Templeton Community Services District will be working together to ensure that a safe and enjoyable environment is maintained throughout the holiday period – remember to be “Safe and Sane.”
Fireworks are allowed anywhere within the Templeton Community Services District boundaries
1. Any Templeton School District property, including parking lots
2. Within 100 feet of the Templeton Feed & Grain building
3. Anywhere there is dry grass
If you or one of your family members starts a fire, you will be held liable for suppression costs and other damages. Anyone under the age 18 will be required to be under the direct supervision of an adult. Please be smart and careful when using “Safe and Sane” fireworks.
If you have any questions about fireworks within the Templeton CSD boundaries please call Templeton Fire and Emergency Services for more information at (805) 434-4900.