Message from Chamber Director Sarah Maggelet
Templeton Chamber of Commerce Executive Director’s Message 2014
“Enthusiasm” is the word I would use to describe my approach to leading the wonderful Templeton Chamber of Commerce. I am honored to have been selected by the Chamber Board of Directors in November 2013 as the Executive Director, only the second staff person in the history of this organization. As some of you may know, I am a SLO County native who moved to Templeton in 2009, relocating both my family and our family website development business to Templeton from San Luis Obispo. Since arriving in town, I have been dedicated to preserving and contributing to the lifestyle that attracted me and so many others to this slice of paradise on the Central Coast.
In addition to my Chamber duties, I am an elected official on the Templeton Area Advisory Group (TAAG), 2013-2014 President of Rotary Club of Templeton, and still active in my husband’s business, Applynx Website Solutions, on Main Street, which was honored with “Business Of The Year” at the 2013 Chamber Installation Dinner. As a volunteer for the Chamber for the past few years, I have cultivated a network for business colleagues in this town that I can call friends.
As a small business owner and a mother of young children in Templeton, I feel that I have the perfect balance: seeking smart and appropriate economic development for our community without compromising our small town way of life. The cooperative spirit of the officials and staff at our School District, Community Services District and Chamber, coupled with the dynamic and intelligent community members who show up where they need to be and care about this town, will prove to leave a legacy of which we can all be proud.
Will our town grow? Of course, but with careful planning and community outreach, we can craft the Templeton of today and of the future, a place where people of all walks of life can live, work and play in a peaceful, sustainable, welcoming and inviting environment. I am enthusiastic about the future of Templeton and the history of our town fascinates me.
The Chamber of Commerce seeks to support economic vitality without compromising our historic roots. If you are not a member of our Chamber, we welcome you to join us! Recently relocated or wish to relocate to the Central Coast? Our Chamber can be an excellent networking opportunity to job searching. Retired in our area? Join us as an individual member, to stay active both socially and intellectually, and share your wealth of business knowledge with some of our younger members just starting out in their careers. Business owners anywhere on the Central Coast are encouraged to join the Templeton Chamber, as we seek to promote the region. We all benefit from economic development. The Chamber has some great plans for 2014:
• A Job listing & announcement service on the Chamber website for member businesses to recruit qualified workers, make special announcements or sell/trade items
• A new office at 321 Main St. with greater exposure for more efficient business and visitor services
• A new brown bag lunch business literacy program for members, with short, free expert talks on small business finance, human resources, new media and marketing, and other topics
• A “Meet Your Merchants” event in the Fall, with an aggressive direct mail marketing effort to Templeton residents and businesses to increase attendance
• A new visitor and tourism services department, including a new website, www.visittempleton.org, focusing on the unique hospitality and retail opportunities in Templeton at our B&B’s, vacation rentals, wineries and wine bars, farm tours, retail shopping and olive oil tasting facilities
• A renewed focus on government relations and advocacy for small business to the Templeton Community Services District, County Board of Supervisors, County Planning Department and other government agencies and entities
• Coordinating or participating in events that bring new customers to Templeton, including Earth Day Food and Wine Festival (April), Taste of Templeton (May), 4th of July Parade (July), Sunset Savor the Central Coast (Sept), Wine & Roses Bicycle Ride (Oct) and Founder’s Day (Nov) plus a new & unique Christmas holiday event coming in Dec. 2014!
We hope that you see the value in the Chamber’s work on your behalf, and that you help us keep the momentum going and keep Templeton growing in the right direction!
Templeton Chamber of Commerce