Templeton Guide|Sunday, May 19, 2019
You are here: Home » Region » County burn suspension lifted

County burn suspension lifted 

Valid agriculture burn permits can now resume burning on permissible burn days prescribed burn SLO county

–Effective Nov. 4, 2016 the burn permit suspension in San Luis Obispo County will be lifted. Cal Fire San Luis Obispo Unit Chief Scotty Jalbert is formally cancelling the burn permit suspension and advises that those possessing current and valid agriculture burn permits can now resume burning on permissible burn days only. Backyard burning is still not permitted until peak fire season is over. All burning must be inspected and permitted by Cal Fire prior to burning until the end of the peak fire season. A valid permit from the Air Pollution Control District is also required for all burning and only on permissive burn days.

While cooler temperatures and precipitation have helped to diminish the threat of wildfire, property owners are asked to use caution while conducting burns. Burn permits are required for all burning projects and must be completed between the hours indicated on the Cal Fire and/or APCD burn permits. Property owners must follow burning requirements and maintain control of their fire at all times. Property owners may be held liable if a fire escapes their control and/or burns the property of a neighbor safe pile burning of forest residue by landowners is a crucial tool in reducing fire hazards. State, federal and local land management and fire agencies will also be utilizing this same window of opportunity to conduct prescribed burns aimed at improving forest health on private and public lands.

Agricultural burn permits

  • Agricultural burning is allowed year round in San Luis Obispo County by permit unless there is a burn ban. During the fire season, May 1 through the declared end of fire season, Cal Fire Permits are required. Please contact APCD’s Compliance Division at (805) 781-5912 for details on their permit program.
  • Agricultural burning is defined as open outdoor fires used in agricultural operations in the growing of crops or raising of fowl or animals, used in vegetation management, forest management, range improvement, the improvement of land for wildlife and game habitat, or agricultural disease or pest prevention. Income must be derived solely or partially from agricultural practices on property where the burn is located.


A farmers’ market certificate will also be sufficient proof of agricultural income. For Air Pollution Control District information and to download a mail-in only application go to:

Until fire season is over, contact your nearest Cal Fire station and/or local fire department to acquire the proper permit. After fire season is closed, only APCD permits will be required. Property owners must confirm the burn day status by calling (800) 834-2876 and may only burn on days designated as “Burn Days.”

For more information on how to safely burn outdoors visit www.PreventWildfireCA.org.

Sign up for weekly Templeton News

Related posts:



About the author: Access Publishing

Scott Brennan is the publisher of this website and founder of Access Publishing. Connect with him on , Twitter, LinkedIn, or follow his blog.